Keanu Reeves, a longtime cinema heartthrob, now known as the "internet boyfriend" is celebrating his 55th birthday today! That's right. Who says growing older makes you dull?
The fan-favorite actor is a Hollywood veteran with a total of 35 years to date since his first TV show, Hangin' In. Best yet, he has over 100 credits to his name, including the recently announced, all-new film set in the world of “The Matrix." 100 credits at 55, that is quite a feat.
To celebrate this special occasion, we've selected our 5 favorite Keanu movies. And of course, what’s a renaissance if we aren’t surfacing rarely-seen behind-the-scene (BTS) shots from these films?
The Matrix Trilogy stars machine battling truth-seekers Neo (Reeves), Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) and Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) in all three of the Wachowski's ground-breaking monumental sci-fi feature films.
The Matrix just celebrated 20 years since its initial release. This mind-bending movie and its two sequels redefined the science-fiction genre for the 21st century, showcasing Reeves' martial art skills and portrayal as the "Chosen One.”
Reeves' list of awards and nominations are endless for all three films, some notable ones include:
- Winner of "Best Fight" with Laurence Fishburne and "Best Male Performance" for The Matrix - MTV Movie Awards 2000.
- "Best On-Screen Duo" with Laurence Fishburne for The Matrix - MTV Movie Awards 2000
- "Choice Movie Actor" for The Matrix Revolutions - Teen Choice Award 2003
- "Choice Movie Actor" for The Matrix Reloaded - Teen Choice Award 2004
- "Sexiest Hero" for The Matrix Reloaded - Teen Choice Award 2004
- "Best Fight" with Hugo Weaving for The Matrix Reloaded - MTV Movie Awards 2004
- "Best Kiss" with Monica Bellucci for The Matrix Reloaded - MTV Movie Awards 2004
Constantine stars Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz, Djimon Hounsou, Tilda Swinton and Shia LaBeouf.
A notable cult classic, Constantine is an adaptation of DC Comics' "Hellblazer" with parts of the "Dangerous Habits" and "Original Sins" story arc weaved into the film. Constantine, as we know, branched into a video game adaptation and a popular TV Series.
Reeves noted in a Variety interview that he would love to play the character, John Constantine, again. “I just love that world too and I love that character,” said Reeves. “I just had a blast playing that character in that world.”
Reeves was nominated for the "Best Hero" award for this film for MTV Movie Awards in 2005.
The Devil’s Advocate stars Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino, Charlize Theron, and Craig T. Nelson.
Loosely adapted from Andrew Neiderman’s novel of the same name, The Devil’s Advocate won the heart of Reeves, turned down the offer to star in the sequel to Speed, and took up this film instead.
Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze star in the nonstop action thriller, Point Break, about an FBI agent lured by the rush when he goes undercover to unmask a band of thrill-seeking, bank-robbing surfers.
- When Reeves was first cast, the movie was originally called "Johnny Utah," the name of the character that he plays.
- Reeves took up surfing as a hobby after learning the sport for his role as Johnny.
- Reeves won "Most Desirable Male" for MTV Movie Awards in 1991.
The Lake House stars Reeves (as Alex Wyler) and Sandra Bullock (as Dr. Kate Forster) in this romantic tale of two time-crossed lovers who find a love strong enough to span the years separating the couple living in The Lake House. And for all you movie buffs, this movie is actually a remake of the 2000 Korean movie called "Il Mare."
After all those action/crime centered movies, The Lake House shows a sweet and romantic side of Reeves that we have all come to love.
The major excitement leading up to this film was the reunion of Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock after their first appearance together in Speed. Of course, this celebration of on-screen chemistry won them the "Choice Liplock" award in the 2006’s Teen Choice Awards.
Hope you enjoyed these 5 film highlights of Keanu!