It’s been 25 years since "Friends" first debuted on NBC and the world is still talking about it. The acclaimed TV show aired for 10 seasons and many of us are still quoting our favorite lines from this beloved sitcom.
What about "Friends" makes it so iconic? Why did so many viewers tune-in every week to watch Rachel (Jennifer Aniston), Monica (Courteney Cox), Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow), Joey (Matt LeBlanc), Chandler (Matthew Perry) and Ross (David Schwimmer)? Why does it continue to be popular today?
Here are 4 reasons why we love "Friends" :
Need we say more?
Coffee is the soul of our existence, or at least, to most of us anyway.
Coffee is the *ahem* Central Perk to our lives and the characters in "Friends" (pun intended).
Most of what goes on in the episodes of "Friends" happens at Central Perk. It's the coffee shop where Rachel works and where the gang meets up for lattes. It’s where (*spoiler*) Rachel and Ross share their first kiss, where Phoebe sings “Smelly Cat” (look it up), it’s where Rachel quits her job and Joey becomes a waiter, where Monica and Chandler sneak out of the closet…and of course, where Gunther (James Michael Tyler) is a mainstay.
Of course, one can’t mention Central Perk without the insanely famous orange couch that takes center stage at the coffee house.
This iconic symbol is a timeless tie that connects us with these six friends. After all, the couch is where the cast spends most of their time. It’s where we spend most of our time.
Lazy day? Lounge on the couch.
Friends over? Hangout on the couch.
Going through a breakup? Mope on the couch.
Tired? Nap on the couch.
Take it from these boys -- They know how to snooze…even in public.
What makes “Friends” most relatable of all is that we are all human beings in need of connection, friendship and love.
We feel the feels watching these six friends go through life's circumstances together and apart, much like our own.
"Friends" is notably known for its humor. We watch and laugh at the everyday situations along with the cast.
And then there's inserting quotes and catchphrases from "Friends" into everyday conversations. Like, "How you doin'?" or "Pivot!" or "We were on a break". There's too many for us to list, but you get the gist.
And that’s why we watch"Friends" and love the show so much. Happy 25th Anniversary! Tell us your favorite moments from the series. #Friends25.
FAN EXPERIENCES TO CELEBRATE "FRIENDS":
Relive the classic moments and join fans from around the world in celebrating "Friends" at these events or experiences:
- Friends 25 App: "The One" you’ve been waiting for. Whether you’re a Rachel, Monica, Joey, Chandler, Phoebe or a Ross, it’s finally here... "The One with the Free App!" This app is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese – and has something for everyone. Available on iOS and Android.
- Friends 25 Couch Tour during September - November: The Central Perk sofa is “going places!” Take photos with the counch at these tour locations.
- Get your own Friends merchandise from your own turkey dish towel to your own Central Perk socks, the perfect gifts awaits you.
- Meghan Trainor and an Empire State Building Light Show on September 22: Catch GRAMMY® award winner Meghan Trainor will light up the New York City skyline with an Empire State Building music-to-light show on “Friends” Day for the world premiere of her cover of the show’s theme song, “I’ll Be There for You,” on Sunday, September 22, at 8:30 p.m. ET — the exact time “Friends” debuted on September 22, 1994. Other participating locations around the world (at 8:30 p.m. local time):
Burj Khalifa – Dubai (UAE): The world’s tallest building will receive a “Friends”-inspired LED light-show takeover, designed by BARTKRESA studio. There will also be a custom water fountain show, designed by WET Design, set to the series theme song.
The London Eye – London (UK): The popular attraction will feature one custom “Friends”-themed capsule takeover, complete with the orange Central Perk couch.
The Empire State Building – New York (USA): Visitors to the Observation Deck can also snap a picture with the show’s orange couch September 21–22. @EmpireStateBldg
Willis Tower – Chicago (USA): Stop by the Skydeck on September 21 and 22 to see the Central Perk couch up close. @WillisTowerChicago
The Mercedes-Benz Superdome – New Orleans (USA): Visitors to nearby Jackson Square can visit the legendary orange sofa, from September 19–22. @MBSuperdome
Reunion Tower – Dallas (USA): The Central Perk sofa will be on display on the Observation Deck from September 16–30. @ReunionTower
AT&T Headquarters – Dallas (USA): Starting at sunset on September 22, the “Friends” colors will illuminate AT&T’s Whitaker Tower in a dynamic light show as perfect as Monica and as cool as Joey. @ATT
- U.S. Bank Tower – Los Angeles (USA): Visitors can head to OUE Skyspace LA from September 16–22 for picture-perfect moment on the orange couch. @USBankTower @SkyspaceLA
- Friends 25th in Theaters September 23, 28, and October 2: Celebrate the milestone anniversary of the beloved sitcom, coming to the big screen for the first time ever!
- Las Vegas "Friends" 25th Anniversary Celebration on October 18 & 19: A one-of-a-kind Friends 25th Anniversary celebration presented by Warner Bros. Television Group joins AT&T 5G and MGM Resorts.
- The Fountains of Bellagio will unveil a brand-new show set to the catchy “Friends” theme song, “I’ll Be There For You” by The Rembrandts. Created by WET Design, the show will debut at sunset on Friday and run on rotation throughout the weekend and beyond. There will also be exclusive photo opps with the Central Perk couch, which will be on site in front of The Fountains.
The Brooklyn Bridge, New York-New York: Fans will new opportunities to interact with their six favorite friends in a massive and immersive custom-built experience that’s more 2019 than 1994 –– but not without nostalgia! The Fan Experience includes: "Phoebe's Yellow Cab Escape Room" where Phoebe’s yellow cab will be parked on the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday, October 19 in an escape room experience allowing fans to test their knowledge of the series. Also, "Central Perk LEGO®" - A 700-square-foot LEGO re-creation of one of the series’ signature sets will be on display on Saturday, October 19. Built out of 900,000 LEGO bricks over a period of four months, this life-sized re-creation features everything from the iconic sofa to the latest menu board.
The Park: Saturday, October 19, The Rembrandts will perform their iconic theme song, their hits and other Friends-related songs. Keep your eyes out for Marcel, Ross’s onetime pet Capuchin monkey, who will be ‘there for you’ to meet and greet fans.
Luxor Las Vegas: The enigmatic Blue Man Group will transform the iconic orange Central Perk sofa in a way that only this bald and blue trio could. Their newly painted creation will be on display inside Luxor on Saturday, Oct. 19.
- Listen to the "Friends" theme song, "I'll Be There For You" produced and arranged by Grammy winner Giles Martin with The London Metropolitan Orchestra. Stream or download it now on iTunes or other platforms.
- Rewatch the entire collection of "Friends" with your friends. The complete series is available on digital and Blu-ray/DVD. Marathon, anyone?