"HBO Max" is Coming May 2020
Stream Favorites like "Game of Thrones," "The Matrix," "Looney Tunes" and More
HBO Max is launching in May 2020! Now you can stream all your favorite shows, movies, and classics all in one service plus award-winning documentaries and specials, and the latest Hollywood hits before any other service.
Here are some titles to look forward to:
- Stephen King's "The Outsider," a dark mystery starring Ben Mendelsohn, produced and directed by Jason Bateman
- "Lovecraft Country," a unique horror series based on a novel by Matt Ruff, written and executive produced by Misha Green, and executive produced by Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams
- "The Nevers," Joss Whedon's new science fiction series starring Laura Donnelly
- "The Plot Against America," reimagined history based on Phillip Roth's novel written and executive produced by David Simon and Ed Burns, starring Winona Ryder and John Turturro
- "I Know This Much Is True," a complex family drama starring Mark Ruffalo playing twin brothers, one of whom has schizophrenia, based on the best-selling novel by Wally Lamb, written and directed by Derek Cianfrance.
HBO Max is also producing exclusive new original programming. Here are some highlights for what has been announced so far (stay tuned for premiere dates):
- "Tokyo Vice," based on Jake Adelstein's non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort
- "The Flight Attendant," a one-hour thriller series based on the novel by Chris Bohjalian, which will star Kaley Cuoco, who is also executive producing alongside Greg Berlanti
- "Love Life," a 10-episode half-hour romantic comedy anthology series starring "Pitch Perfect" star Anna Kendrick, who will also executive produce alongside Paul Feig
- "Made for Love," a 10-episode, half-hour, straight-to-series adaptation based on the tragicomic novel of the same name by Alissa Nutting, also from Somerville and directed by S.J. Clarkson
- A "Gossip Girl" reboot from the creators of the original series, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. Eight years after the original website went dark, a new generation of New York private school teens are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl.
HBO Max also secured exclusive movie production deals with J.J. Abrams, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" director, Greg Berlanti, one of Hollywood's most prolific and successful producers, and Reese Witherspoon, Academy Award and Emmy Award-winning actress and producer.
KIDS & FAMILY
HBO Max is partnering with Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit media and educational organization, to bring the following new "Sesame Street" content to HBO Max:
- Five new 35-episode seasons of "Sesame Street"
- New annual "Sesame Street" specials, kicking off with "The Monster at the End of This Show," an animated version of the acclaimed book "The Monster at the End of This Book"
- A new season of the award-winning animated "Esme & Roy"
- Two new animated series, the first a spin-off of "Sesame Street" called "Mecha Builders" working title), featuring favorite "Sesame Street" characters as heroes in a robot-animation style; and the second series to be announced at a later date
- A broad collection of Sesame Street episodes from the past 50 years— many available on-demand for the first time ever
ADDITIONAL KIDS CONTENT
- "Craftopia" is an epic kids crafting competition series hosted and produced by Lauren Riihimaki, aka LaurDIY, one of YouTube's top creators. On "Craftopia", 9 to 15-year old contestants put their imaginations to the test and make their crafting dreams come true in a magical studio.
- "Karma" takes contestants, ranging in age from 12 to 15, completely off the grid to solve puzzles and overcome physical challenges, with the laws of karma setting the rules. This adventure series hosted by YouTube sensation Michelle Khare will test the mental and physical stamina of its young contestants as they unravel how their social actions impact their success in the game.
- "Little Ellen" is a 2D animated children's series that explores the world through the eyes of a hilarious and unpredictable seven-year-old Ellen DeGeneres. On her adventures in her musical hometown of New Orleans, "Little Ellen" takes big risks and makes big mistakes, but she's always able to laugh at herself and bounce back when things don't go as planned.
HBO Max will include select favorites from WarnerMedia's beloved brands and libraries: Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, DC, CNN, the Turner library, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more.
- All 12 seasons (279 episodes) of the hit TV comedy "The Big Bang Theory." The series received 55 Emmy® nominations and 10 wins, and seven Golden Globe® nominations.
- All 11 seasons of "Doctor Who", the British sci-fi hit drama that follows the stories of a regenerating Time Lord who travels on adventures through all of space and time.
- The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all 236 episodes of "Friends"— one of the biggest hits on TV and streaming.
- All 23 seasons of Trey Parker and Matt Stone's "South Park", the #1 primetime cable comedy among young adults for the last six years.
WHAT IS HBO MAX?
HBO Max is the new streaming platform that is planned for launch in the spring of 2020. HBO Max will bundle HBO with your favorites from WarnerMedia’s vast library of beloved shows and movies, as well as an extensive collection of new programming produced exclusively for HBO Max. With 10,000 hours of exceptional content available at launch, there’s something for everyone – from families with young children to adults of all ages.
WHEN DOES IT LAUNCH?
HBO Max is planned for launch in May 2020. Stay tuned for more details as we get closer to our launch date. You can sign up for updates at HBOMax.com.
WHY IS IT CALLED HBO MAX?
The HBO brand is one of the most well-known and beloved entertainment brands in the world. It stands for quality and easily rises above other brands in terms of consumer awareness – a key advantage in a crowded marketplace. HBO Max will build on this foundation to deliver even more premium content, through both original and library titles.
HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM HBO, HBO NOW AND HBO GO?
First and fundamentally, HBO is not changing. If you have a current HBO subscription, there will be no changes to that.
- HBO GO is HBO's TV-everywhere app for people who subscribe to HBO through the video distributors we work with.
- HBO NOW is HBO’s standalone D2C streaming service and it has successfully been in the marketplace for several years.
- HBO will continue to be available as a linear cable network with digital options through HBO Go and non-linear digital subscription options via HBO Now.
WILL ANY OF THOSE SERVICES GO AWAY?
There are no plans to change the HBO channels, HBO on Demand, HBO GO or HBO NOW. HBO GO and HBO NOW will still be available as separate apps. The goal is for HBO Max to be widely available through our partners and at HBOMax.com.
Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T video services (such as AT&T TV or U-Verse TV) will also get access to WarnerMedia's new offering, HBO Max, at no extra charge. Also, subscribers of premium AT&T mobile and broadband services will be offered bundles with HBO Max at no extra charge.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
HBO Max will be available for $14.99 per month (plus applicable taxes).
WHERE CAN I STAY UP TO DATE ON THE LATEST HBO MAX NEWS?
Please visit HBOMax.com to sign up to receive the latest updates. You can also follow HBO Max on Twitter.
Watch the WarnerMedia Day Opening Video below: