(February 5, 2018 – Burbank, CA) – DC Entertainment revealed two new original graphic novel publishing imprints today, “DC Ink” focused on young adult (YA) readers, and “DC Zoom” focused on middle grade (MG) readers. Both imprints will feature a world class line-up of authors who have established YA and MG fan bases. These authors will bring their storytelling expertise to a DC Universe filled with iconic characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and many more. The first titles from “DC Ink” and “DC Zoom” will be released in Fall 2018.
“Superheroes are more popular than ever so it only makes sense to bring these DC characters to an entirely new generation of young readers,” stated Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment and president of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “The first comic books created decades ago were for kids, and as the business evolved and matured, it became more focused on adult readers. ‘DC Ink’ and ‘DC Zoom’ present an exciting new opportunity to grow our publishing business and ensure beloved stories built around iconic characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are endeared as part of the fabric of childhood for years to come.”
“Two of the recent areas of growth in publishing include graphic novels and books for young readers – we’re bringing those formats together with ‘DC Ink’ and ‘DC Zoom,’” said DC Entertainment Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “We’ve already experienced tremendous success with our DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels. The new ‘DC Ink’ and ‘DC Zoom’ slate, paired with a stellar author line-up, presents a major business growth opportunity and we couldn’t be more excited – we’re going big.”
The first titles from “DC Ink” include “Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass” by Mariko Tamaki (“Supergirl: Being Super”) with art by Steve Pugh, and “Mera” by Danielle Paige (“Dorothy Must Die” series). The first title to hit shelves from “DC Zoom” will be “DC Super Hero Girls: Search For Atlantis” from writer Shea Fontana and artist Yancey Labat. All three titles will go on sale in Fall 2018, with many more titles from “DC Ink” and “DC Zoom” set to follow in 2019.
Additional confirmed upcoming titles and authors for “DC Ink” include:
- “Batman: Gotham High” – Melissa de la Cruz (“Alex & Eliza,” “Blue Bloods” series, “Witches of East End” series)
- “Batman: Nightwalker – The Graphic Novel” – Marie Lu (“Legend” series)
- “Teen Titans” – Kami Garcia (“Beautiful Creatures” series)
- “Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale” – Lauren Myracle (“Internet Girls” series, “Kissing Kate”)
- “Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed” – Laurie Halse Anderson (“Speak” and “Chains”)
Additional confirmed titles and authors for “DC Zoom” include:
- “Batman Tales: Once Upon a Crime” – writer and artist: Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen (“Batman: Li’l Gotham”)
- “Batman: Overdrive” – Shea Fontana (“DC Super Hero Girls” series)
- “Black Canary: Ignite” – Meg Cabot (“The Princess Diaries” series)
- “Dear Justice League” – Michael Northrop (“Tombquest” series)
- “Green Lantern: Legacy” – Minh Lê (“Drawn Together”)
- "Super Sons” – Ridley Pearson (“Kingdom Keepers” series)
- “Superman of Smallville” – writer and artist: Art Baltazar & Franco (“Tiny Titans”)
- “Superman Smashes The Klan” – Gene Yang (“Avatar: The Last Airbender” series, “New Super-Man”), will be released as periodicals first, then collected
About DC Entertainment:
DC Entertainment, home to iconic brands DC (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc.), Vertigo (Sandman, Fables, etc.) and MAD, is the creative division charged with strategically integrating across Warner Bros. and Time Warner. DC Entertainment works in concert with many key Warner Bros. divisions to unleash its stories and characters across all media, including but not limited to film, television, consumer products, home entertainment, and interactive games. Publishing thousands of comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year, DC Entertainment is one of the largest English-language publishers of comics in the world.