Ellen Gets Great Birthday Present Topping the Demos Both in Daytime and Primetime!
(January 30, 2019 – Burbank, CA) – Ellen DeGeneres was number-one in both daytime and primetime as both her nationally-syndicated daytime talk show and primetime game show finished first among the demos this week.
On Monday, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” was number-one talk show in all key demos W18-34, W18-49 and W25-54, earning its highest W25-54 ratings all season (1.3). The special episode celebrating Ellen’s birthday featured late night host Jimmy Kimmel, newlywed superstar Miley Cyrus and Grammy Award-nominee Mark Ronson who performed their collaborative hit song, “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart.” Monday’s installment grew +4 share points from its lead-in among the important W25-54 demo.
Then, on Tuesday night, three hours of “Ellen’s Game of Games” led NBC to win the night among the Big 4 networks in A18-49, A25-54 and every other key demographic, with a nightlong +114% margin of victory in adults 18-49 (1.5 vs. 0.7 for #2 CBS).
Two original hours of “Ellen’s Game of Games” and a 10 p.m. encore led all three hours among the Big 4 networks in all key demographics – adults, men and women 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54.
A special 9 p.m. telecast of “Ellen’s Game of Games” (1.7 rating in 18-49, 7.0 million viewers overall from 9-10 p.m. ET):
- Delivers a new season high in 18-49 (note that the Jan. 15 telecast was originally reported as a 1.7 but has been adjusted by Nielsen to a 1.6).
- Is the #1 show of the night in adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and all other key demographics (including ties with the 8 p.m. “Games” in adults 18-34 and men 18-34).
- Wins the 9 p.m. hour in adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and all other key demographics.
- Matches or improves on its lead-in in every key demographic.
The regular 8 p.m. episode of “Ellen’s Game of Games” (1.6 rating in 18-49, 7.1 million viewers overall from 8-9 p.m. ET):
- Equals the show’s 18-49 high so far this season in its regular 8 p.m. timeslot.
- Is the #2 show of the night in adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and most other key demos, behind only the 9 p.m. “Game of Games.”
- Ties the 9 p.m. “Ellen’s” as the #1 show of the night on the Big 4 in adults 18-34 and men 18-34.
- Wins the 8 p.m. hour in adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and all other key demographics.
- Takes the timeslot by a +60% margin in adults 18-49 over CBS’ annual “Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials” (1.6 vs. 1.0).
- Grows from its first half-hour to its second in every key measure, including a gain of +13% in adults 18-49 (1.5 to 1.7).
- Retains 100% of the prior week’s 8 p.m. telecast in 18-49 (1.6 vs. 1.6) and 94% in total viewers (7.038 million vs. 7.464 million, which was a season high).
Primetime Source: NBC. Results are based on “fast affiliate time period” data from Nielsen Media Research. All ratings are "live plus same day" unless otherwise indicated.
Daytime Source: NSI WRAP Overnights, LPM weighted market average, matches W25-54 ratings from 10/31, 11/12 & 11/13, season to date=9/4/18-current.
# # #