For the new Commemorative Edition of the popular 2008 PG-13 animated film, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has produced an all-new featurette spotlighting the late Darwyn Cooke. The comic book author and artist’s seminal work, “DC: The New Frontier,” received an Eisner, Harvey and Shuster Award, and that six-issue comic book limited series served as the key source material from which the film was adapted. “Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition” also features box art from Cooke’s canon of dazzling New Frontier imagery.
“Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition” is the epic tale of the founding of the Justice League. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, the animated film is directed by David Bullock from a script by Stan Berkowitz. Sander Schwartz and Bruce Timm are Executive Producers. Michael Goguen is Supervising Producer.
The action-packed adventure features iconic DC Super Heroes Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman alongside Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and The Flash as they band together to form the legendary team. Strangers at first, these very different heroes must overcome fear and suspicion to forge an alliance against a monster so formidable, even the mighty Superman cannot stop it alone. If they fail, the entire planet will be “cleansed” of humanity.
“Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition” features an impressive roll call of celebrity voice performances, including Golden Globe Award winner Kyle MacLachlan (“Twin Peaks”) as Superman, Jeremy Sisto (“Law & Order”) as Batman, Lucy Lawless (“Xena: Warrior Princess”) as Wonder Woman, Emmy and Tony Award winner Neil Patrick Harris (“How I Met Your Mother”) as Barry Allen/The Flash, David Boreanaz (“Bones”) as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern, Brooke Shields (“Suddenly Susan”) as Carol Ferris, Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner Kyra Sedgwick (“The Closer”) as Lois Lane, Phil Morris (“Seinfeld”) as King Faraday, and the late Miguel Ferrer (“NCIS: Los Angeles”) as Martian Manhunter. The cast also boasts the voices of Joe Mantegna (“Criminal Minds”), Keith David (“Platoon”), Vicki Lewis (“NewsRadio”) and the late John Heard (“Big”).
“Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition” includes incredible bonus features on both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the DVD:
• Featurette – “Retro Action Cool: The Story of Darwyn Cooke” – A revealing look into the life and times of one of comics’ most brilliant figures, the late Darwyn Cooke.
• Featurette – “Super Heroes United! The Complete Justice League History” – A comprehensive look at nearly a half-century of Justice League chronology from the inception in the comics to vivid animated renditions in the late 2000s. The story is told with a myriad of interviews tracing the early days of DC Super Hero team ups during the Golden Age to the Silver Age rendition where the established heroes emerged and beyond. Interviews include such notables as Dan DiDio, Michael Uslan, Paul Levitz, Mark Waid, Denny O'Neil, Stan Lee and Marv Wolfman.
• Featurette – “The Legion of Doom: The Pathology of the DC Super Villain” – This 10-minute piece examines the early mythological archetypes of nemesis characters from a historical perspective and reveals how the tenants of this rich history were adapted and woven into the Justice League stories.
• Featurette – “Comic Book Commentary: Homage to the New Frontier” – This mini-documentary is a nod to the fans of the New Frontier comics, further expanding the themes contained in the source material and how these elements were truncated or evolved for inclusion in the film. It features vivid imagery culled from the pages of “DC: The New Frontier,” mixed with the commentary of Darwyn Cooke. This featurette is a treat for both fans and scholars of the medium.
• Sneak Peak: “Gotham by Gaslight” – A behind-the-scenes look at the next DC Universe Original Movie, inspired by the 1989 Elseworlds tale of Batman – at the turn of the 20th century – as first created as a graphic novel by Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola, with inks by P. Craig Russell.
• Audio Commentary I/The Filmmakers – Featuring “Justice League: The New Frontier” filmmakers Bruce Timm, Michael Goguen, David Bullock, Stan Berkowitz, Andrea Romano and Gregory Noveck.
• Audio Commentary II/Darwyn Cooke – Featuring award-winning writer/artist Darwyn Cooke
“‘Justice League: The New Frontier – Commemorative Edition’ gives fans the opportunity to savor the unique genius of such a legendary comic talent as Darwyn Cooke in a thrilling, animated adaptation of a modern classic,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing. “The addition of an all-new Darwyn Cooke mini-documentary adds to the special celebration of his work. And his story serves as a keen reminder of the history of these cherished DC Super Heroes, in perfect timing with the theatrical release of the ‘Justice League’ film.”
About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc.:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees.
About DC Entertainment:
DC Entertainment, home to iconic brands DC (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc.), Vertigo (Sandman, Fables, etc.) and MAD, is the creative division charged with strategically integrating across Warner Bros. and Time Warner. DC Entertainment works in concert with many key Warner Bros. divisions to unleash its stories and characters across all media, including but not limited to film, television, consumer products, home entertainment, and interactive games. Publishing thousands of comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year, DC Entertainment is one of the largest English-language publishers of comics in the world.
About Warner Bros. Animation:
Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) is one of the leading producers of animation in the entertainment industry, producing and developing projects for multiple platforms, both domestically and internationally. WBA’s TV series include “Justice League Action,” “Teen Titans Go!” and the upcoming “DC Super Hero Girls” and “Unikitty!” for Cartoon Network; “Be Cool Scooby-Doo!,” “Bunnicula,” “Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz,” “The Tom and Jerry Show,” “New Looney Tunes” and “Wacky Races” for Boomerang; “Mike Tyson Mysteries” for Adult Swim; “Green Eggs and Ham” for Netflix; and “Young Justice: Outsiders” for the upcoming DC-branded digital service. As home to the iconic animated characters from the DC, Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Looney Tunes libraries, WBA also produces highly successful animated films — including the DC Universe Original Movies — for DVD, Blu-ray and digital media. One of the most-honored animation studios in history, WBA has won six Academy Awards, 35 Emmy Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, the HUMANITAS Prize, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).